TMBA Future Leaders | James M. Wooten Scholarship
The TMBA Future Leaders Program is dedicated to identifying and cultivating the next generation of industry leaders by awarding scholarships to the MBA Future Leaders program. The scholarship was developed in 1993 and has since become the primary focus for the Future Leaders committee. Now called the Future Leaders/James M. Wooten Scholarship, the program was designed focus on developing leaders who will guide our organization and our industry in the years to come. Scholarship winners participate in a CampusMBA series which features three hands-on, executive-level sessions geared toward political activism; business analysis and problem solving; and experiential learning through collaboration, networking and peer group interaction. The scholarship covers the tuition for the MBA Future Leaders program. Participants are also responsible for travel and accommodations related to each session.
History | James M. Wooten
James M. Wooten is a legend in mortgage banking in the United States and will always be a model of the best in the mortgage banking profession and industry. In the 1970s and 1980s, he was the President and CEO of Lomas & Nettleton Financial Corp. which grew to be the second largest mortgage banking firm in the country at that time. Jim Wooten was an innovator, perpetually seeking and finding more efficient processes to make available a wide array of loans for home buyers in this country. Jim Wooten was an acknowledged leader in the entire mortgage banking industry. He was President of the Texas Mortgage Bankers Association in 1982 and President of Mortgage Bankers Association of America in 1983. While Jim Wooten was a fierce competitor and advocate for his own company, he was, without any exception ever, considerate, respectful and collegian with competitors and others in the industry. Jim Wooten showed every day that you can be competitive without being contentious. Kindness and decency were his hallmarks. Moreover, Jim Wooten was generous with his experience and knowledge. He always took the time to mentor, teach, and assist young people becoming mortgage bankers. That is why the TMBA Board of Directors decided in 1997 to designate the YMB Scholarship Award be changed to the James M. Wooten Scholarship Award.
Who Should Apply
- Real estate finance professionals with a minimum of 4-6 years industry experience can apply, but longer tenures are certainly welcome as there is something for everyone. Full-time employees of Regular or Associate TMBA and MBA member firms.
- Individuals who have demonstrated a commitment to a career in real estate finance through professional excellence and achievement.
- Participants are selected based on professional and academic achievements and recommendations from their company presidents or chief executive officers (or the equivalent). Additional recommendations are encouraged.
NOTE: Each Future Leaders/James M. Wooten Scholarship recipient is asked to return to Texas and share their experience and knowledge from MBAs Future Leaders program. TMBA would also encourage each individual to volunteer at the state level.
“I was very excited to learn that I had been awarded the Wooten Scholarship to participate in the 2015 Future Leaders program with the MBA. By all accounts it would be a very exciting opportunity, I had yet to meet anyone who did not thoroughly enjoy their Future Leaders experience. However, I was not prepared for what a truly transformative experience the program would be, it was definitely the best experience of my professional career!
One of the most eye opening experiences of the program was the leadership assessment that is completed before the meetings even start. This exercise gave me great insight into where I had opportunities to be a better leader, and areas where I was performing very well according to my peers and direct reports. During the course of the program I learned how to better adapt my communication style in response to the feedback I received from the assessment.
The first two sessions of the program included a great mix of educational topics, fun team contests and excellent group activities so we could get to know our fellow team members. But the best part of the whole experience was working on our final projects and team presentation at the MBA Annual convention in October. I will not lie, I was working on the project at the same time we were preparing to roll out TRID and the time commitment was a challenge, especially given the various time zones and work schedules of my fellow teammates. However the final project allowed us to do a lot of creative and critical thinking, and look at our business in completely new ways. I was challenged in many ways, from fine tuning my conflict resolution skills to coming up with new ways to approach the mortgage business. I stepped out of my comfort zone many times, and each time felt a little more confident in my day to day professional interactions. Words cannot truly express my appreciation to the TMBA for affording me such a wonderful and once in a lifetime experience, and I strongly urge anyone who is serious about their career in mortgage banking to apply for the James Wooten Scholarship!"
AMANDA LEWIS | Account Executive-Amerihome Mortgage Company, LLC, 2017 Fort Worth MBA President, 2017 TMBA Seminar Committee Co-Chair
CURRICULUM | SCHEDULE | SESSIONS
Members of each class participate in a series of three seminars throughout the year focusing on leadership, the Federal legislative process, business analysis and decision-making. Because peer learning is an integral component of the Future Leaders curriculum, participants should commit to attending each session. Class members also participate in conference calls related to group projects.
For 2022 Future Leaders Class:
- For any new graduate of the FL program MBA is waiving all CMB fees charged for the CMB Prep Course, Enrollment and Exam with no expiration.
- Crucial Conversations - This is a world reknown program used by corporate executives across the all industries that will be included for no upcharge.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Spring Session: Leadership Development & the Federal Legislative Process Held in conjunction with MBA's National Advocacy Conference, Washington, D.C.
- Gain a greater understanding of the characteristics of leadership
- Participate in MBA's National Advocacy Conference and learn about the federal legislative and regulatory processes and the important issues facing the real estate finance industry
- Receive an introduction to lobbying and gain an understanding of its importance to the legislative process
- Join other MBA members and meet with elected representatives in Congress during the National Advocacy Conference's Annual Lobby Day
Summer Session: Group Assignment
- Participants are divided into teams for a group project
- MBA develops a project theme related to the real estate finance industry. While past projects have dealt with economic development and the federal political process, the project is different each year
- Participants have a chance to utilize their leadership skills, project management skills and industry experience on a unique project
- Team members work together after the summer event to put together a project that is judged by individuals familiar with its objectives
Fall Session: Closing Session and Graduation Ceremony
Held in conjunction with MBA's Annual Convention, Washington, D.C.
- During a special session, class members present their projects to a panel of judges and convention participants
- A winning project is selected based on predefined criteria and announced at the graduation ceremony
- Participants also have a chance to experience all that the MBA Annual Convention has to offer: general sessions, workshops, networking events and the exhibit hall
Because the Future Leaders Program has three sessions that are interrelated, and each is an integral component of the curriculum, participants should commit to attend each session and fully participate in team assignments and activities
How To Apply
Scholarship applications are accepted each year by DECEMBER 2nd. If you are interested in applying contact the TMBA office. You can download and complete the Future Leader scholarship application and return to the TMBA office.
TMBA / Future Leaders
1701 Directors Boulevard, Suite 240
Austin, Texas 78744
*The MBA program has delivered a top curriculum of leadership and business management to the real estate finance industry's most promising professionals- identifying and cultivating the next generation of leaders for the real estate finance industry! Participants must be members of TMBA and the Mortgage Bankers Association.
Residential Future Leaders: Class of 2022
APPLICATION DUE: January 20, 2022
TUITION DUE: February 24, 2022
SPRING SESSION: April 25-26, 2022 - Washington D.C.
Leadership Development and the Federal Legislative Process | (Held in conjunction with MBA's National Advocacy Conference)
SUMMER SESSION: June 7-10, 2022 in Gettysburg, PA and Washington, D.C.
Leadership Practices and Business Acumen
FALL SESSION: October 25, 2022 in Nashville,
Held in conjunction with MBA's Annual Convention & Expo. Project Presentation and Graduation Ceremony
(Held in conjunction with MBA's Annual Convention & Expo)